Saturday 28 June 2008

THE NEW Vocabulary

I wonder how many words we use on a day to day basis would have been understood thirty years ago? I suspect that not a one of the computer technology words that I take for granted would have meant anything to me then. Words like Software and Hard Drive. And words that were in use then have suddenly got new meanings. Most remarkable of these, to me, is “Illegal”. To have been told I had done something illegal would have shocked me ten years ago but now I get told it frequently. Even when I went to post (new meaning) my last blog (new word) it came up with a red warning that said “You have entered an illegal date” because I had put one slash too many in a DD/MM/YY (does that count as a word??). Illegal?? Which country’s laws did I break, I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive