Tuesday 10 March 2009

Internet - or Internot


I moved the desktop computer about two feet, vertically, when I re-organised the study. Ever since then the Internet connection has kept going on and off. Coincidence? I suspect not. I think that by moving it from the desk drawer (or where the desk drawer would be if it hadn’t got a computer there) to the top of the desk I have somehow managed to move it into a blind spot. Such is the space situation in the study – as I have mentioned before – that there is absolutely nowhere else for it to go other than back down below again. The problem with that has always been my inability to reach any of the ports or slots on the back of the computer.

I would have posted this an hour or so ago but I had no Internet connection.....

8 comments:

  1. where is the wireless hub? You might have better luck moving that a little than having to put the PC back in a drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately the wireless hub has to serve various parts of the house because of all the laptops and is in the only position where it reaches the garage as well as the rooms in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing the ports you are referring to in the back of your PC are for any USB hookups. We use a USB hub so we don't have to crawl behind our desk to plug something in (like this):
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Section_Id=205966

    I don't know how much that will help you, but at least you can put your PC back in the drawer and not have to worry about questionable internet connections.

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Isabella but I also use a hub. It's actually all the other things likes the plugs on the sound cards and the television card and the line in from audio equipment. I've decided that if I move it back I shall take a photo to help me recall where they all are when I'm grovelling under the desk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it's any consolation my internet connection has been terrible all day too. Not sure if I can validly blame it on the workmen next door, but given the noise they've been making all day I think I shall anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm afraid I just bow down to the internet gods and do what they say, even if it means I have to crawl under a desk. I have an assortment of nifty flashlights and a kneeling cushion for the occasions. I never thought of taking a picture of the wiring - mind if I steal your idea???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course I don't mind Mary Ellen - I'm just amazed I've had an idea worth 'stealing'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think it has anything to do with moving it, I am having the same problem and I haven't touched mine. It just from time to time refuses to connect and its only been the last 2-3 weeks! In the end the only solution I have found is to switch it off, reboot and try again, that usually works after an hour or so offline.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive