Tuesday 5 May 2009

Steel Magnolias

It is rare for me to watch a film and even more rare for me to enjoy one. Looking through my diaries I see that in 1991 I watched Steel Magnolias and the excellence of the acting of a death scene was too realistic for me. Usually I can remind myself that there are film crew and producers and all manner of things alongside the cameras which are filming a tale of fiction. In the case of Steel Magnolias I forgot about them and got absorbed. A dangerous thing to allow to happen when it batters one's emotions so.

Nevertheless the film had a lot of brilliant humour in it with Dolly Parton given some especially good lines. I made a note of them at the time and since I now have nothing else to do with the piece of paper other than throw it away I thought I’d put its contents on my blog before dropping it in the bin...


I used to think you were crazy for marrying that man; then for a few years I thought you were a glutton for punishment; now I realise you're on a mission from God.

I should have known he had problems when his imaginary playmates wouldn't play with him.

Time marches on and eventually you realise its marching across your face.

I'm not crazy; I've just been in a very bad mood for forty years.

That's what my mind says - I just wish someone would explain it to my heart.

7 comments:

  1. Losing oneself in a movie is half the experience...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;^)
    I love that movie, too. Just couldn't bear to watch it again...those endings....whew!
    But thank you for this post today. Just at a time that I really needed it.
    ;^)
    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm probably one of the few people on the planet (in the movie going part of the world) that hasn't seen that film. Always meant to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen the film, but the quotes you wrote from it are great...
    'Time marches on and eventually you realise it's marching across your face.'

    Priceless, I'll remember that line.( no pun intended)
    I hope I remember the others too.

    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be sending those quotes to my sister - Steel Magnolias is a bit of a cult or 'in' thing to us. If one of us refers to something as 'a bit Steel Magnolia' the other knows exactly what's meant.
    I've just caught up on your recent posts - had to laugh at the cat in the cow pat....especially this week as I wrestle with nature.
    Your trip looked gorgeous. I'm trying to imagine the particular heaven achieved by finding an antique book and china shop that is also a tea shop. Too much pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first time I was exposed to the "Steel Magnolias" story was a not-so-great high school production. I tried watching the movie, but I couldn't stay focused...and I blame the play I saw.

    Someday I hope to watch it in its entirety. It sounds like a great film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to add that to my list next time I'm in NZ (which, apart from one's Steve brings round - and this doersn't sound like his sort of film - is usually the only time I watch films).

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive