Wednesday 17 June 2009

Lichens



I mentioned in an earlier posting that I would show you some more lichen pictures. Herewith another promise fulfilled:-



Lichens (pronounced likens) are composite organisms consisting of a relationship between a fungus and either a green alga or a cyanobacterium. Lichens occur in some of the most extreme environments on Earth—arctic tundra, hot deserts, rocky coasts and toxic slag heaps. However, they are also abundant on leaves and branches in forests and woodland, on bare rock, including cliffs, walls and gravestones and on exposed soil surfaces. Lichens are widespread and may be long-lived but many are vulnerable to air pollution.







Traditionally lichens have been used in making dyes, perfumes and traditional medicines. Some craftspeople in the Outer Hebrides still use them for making dyes.

I have lots more lichen photos so I may treat myself to another post about them sometime soon.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating! They are beautiful, in a very unusual way. I've seen these in the mountains of New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive